Frequently Asked Questions
Need more information? We have it! Here you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for, be sure to contact us!
What are the school hours?
School begins at 7:50 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m. To reduce traffic congestion, we stagger dismissal times as follows:
Car riders 3:55 p.m.
Walkers: 4:00 p.m.
Bus riders: 4:00 p.m. The busses leave campus at 4:15 p.m.
In the event of inclement weather, we may need to delay the start of school for two hours. In these cases, school begins at 10:00 a.m., and the lunch schedule remains the same.
Does the school offer breakfast and lunch?
We are proud to offer a nutritious breakfast and lunch to all our students. For menus and an application for free and reduced lunches, please visit our district Cafeteria page.
Breakfast: Free (adults $2.00)
Lunch: $2.25 (adults $3.25)
What is the school’s homework policy?
Homework represents a positive influence upon a student’s ability to master any given lesson. It also provides an opportunity for students to learn responsibility. Unless otherwise noted, all homework is due the day after it is assigned. If a student is absent when the work is assigned, the student has two days to complete the work and turn it in. Students lose points for late assignments. For more detailed information, please read our student handbook.
Does Capitan Elementary have a discipline program?
We accentuate the positive side of behavior and learning through the use of these four basic concepts:
- SAFE: We do not allow unsafe behavior.
- RESPONSIBLE: Students may not interfere with the learning or play of other students.
- RESPECT: Students must respect the rights of others.
- CARING: Students must respect the property of others, including the school's.
We expect students to demonstrate good conduct, use self-control, and maintain good manners before, during, and after school. Students who violate the school rules face consequences such as loss of recess, revoked privileges, and suspension. For more information, please refer to our student handbook.
Does the school have a dress code?
It is the policy of Capitan Municipal Schools that a student’s dress or personal appearance may not interfere with the educational process. School officials reserve the right to use discretion in this area and also reserve the right to send students home to change if they arrive at school dressed inappropriately.
We require students to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Students should arrive neat, clean, and modest in appearance and attire. The classroom teacher or principal may determine appropriate dress.
- We do not permit distracting jewelry.
- Students may not wear shorts, flip flops, or sandals after October 1 or before April 1.
- Shorts and skirts must reach finger-tip length when arms are extended and placed at the sides.
- We require our elementary students to wear shorts under skirts.
- Tops must have a minimum one-inch wide strap.
- We do not allow students to wear clothing displaying logos, emblems, etc. promoting sexually explicit or obscene messages, alcohol, tobacco, drug-related items, or which promotes violence or an affiliation with a gang.
This is a partial list. For a complete list of all Capitan Elementary dress code guidelines, please read our student handbook.